|“|| Like, sometimes I have this tiny voice in the back of my head that goes, like, "Hey, everyone hates you! And they're not wrong to feel that way!" [...]
That voice, the one that tells you you're worthless and stupid and ugly? It goes away, right? It's just, like, a dumb teenage-girl thing, but then it goes away?
—Hollyhock, "Stupid Piece of Sh*t"
Hollyhock Manheim-Mannheim-Guerrero-Robinson-Zilberschlag-Hsung-Fonzerelli-McQuack is an anthropomorphic teenage horse. After making a brief appearance in the season three finale, she was introduced as a new supporting character in the fourth season of BoJack Horseman. Initially believed to be BoJack Horseman's daughter, it was eventually revealed she is his half-sister, sired by BoJack's father Butterscotch with his human mistress Henrietta Platchkey.
According to her birth certificate, she was originally named "Girl Horse", before being adopted and raised by eight gay fathers.
Hollyhock is a teenage female horse. She has light brown fur, a chestnut brown mane with bangs that are worn parted, a white diamond shaped mark on her forehead similar to BoJack's, lighter brown fur on her mouth and nostrils, pointy ears, and lighter brown freckles on her face, neck, chest, and upper arms. According to BoJack she is about 5'8. She has a chubby build, although in the later part of Season 4 Hollyhock slowly loses weight from episode to episode by unknowingly drinking drugged coffee by Beatrice Horseman. It becomes the most noticeable in "Lovin that cali lifestyle!!". She returns to her normal body shape by the end of “What Time Is It Right Now”.
Hollyhock wears a teal sweater with a dark teal collar and sleeve cuffs, dark grey ripped jeans, and white sneakers with pink socks. She also has two piercings on her right ear, and she also wears a double-stranded beaded necklace with a simple gold feather-shaped pendant.
Hollyhock was conceived sometime in December 1999. Butterscotch Horseman had cheated on his wife, Beatrice Horseman, with their maid, Henrietta Platchkey. Beatrice is initially angry, but she talks to Henrietta, who is struggling to earn money to pay tuition for nursing school. Beatrice says she'll pay for her tuition and convinces her to give the baby up for adoption, saying she doesn't want her to end up like her (giving up her life and dreams for the baby and letting Butterscotch poison her life).
Hollyhock is born September 24, 2000. We then see Henrietta wanting to hold the newly born foal and crying as she is taken away by Beatrice, implying in actual fact that she wanted to keep her daughter. Hollyhock was originally named "Girl Horse", but she was later adopted by eight gay men, and renamed Hollyhock Manheim-Mannheim-Guerrero-Robinson-Zilbersclag-Hsung-Fonzerelli-McQuack.
Hollyhock first appears in "That Went Well". Princess Carolyn had just opened her own management agency. As she sits in her new office, Judah informs her that someone is trying to contact BoJack Horseman, and that she sounds like a teenage girl. Princess Carolyn, who had been fired by BoJack a few episodes ago and has moved on from him, tells Judah to tell her she doesn't work for BoJack anymore. Judah hangs up the call. We then see who was on the other line; a female teenage horse, who appears sad at not being able to reach BoJack.
We later learn it is not BoJack she wants to contact but her birth mother, who turns out to be Henrietta Platchkey. BoJack and Hollyhock are actually half-siblings who share the same biological father, Butterscotch Horseman.
Hollyhock is an intelligent young woman who finished her education early. She understands her Dads' Dad Speak when they think she does not understand them, from which she was able to deduce that Bojack was the one responsible for finding her biological mother.
Aside from that, she isn't that different from a normal teenage girl. She's seeking, curious, smart, sweet, awkward and kind of dorky. She's also a bit lazy and is shown to enjoy eating.
She appears to be quite compassionate towards BoJack when she asks him where he disappears to all day long and shows concern for him. In turn, BoJack seems to be very protective of Hollyhock and constantly wants to look out for her.
Although it was revealed that BoJack was not her biological father, but was in fact her half-brother; Season 4 concludes with her saying that she never had a brother before and indicated a desire to begin a loving sibling relationship with him.
- That Went Well (cameo)
- Hooray! Todd Episode! (official debut)
- Commence Fracking
- Thoughts and Prayers
- Stupid Piece of Sh*t
- The Judge
- Ruthie (mentioned throughout)
- Lovin that cali lifestyle!!
- Time's Arrow (cameo)
- What Time Is It Right Now
- Miles the Intern (dated)
- Hollyhock is originally thought to be Bojack's daughter but is later revealed to be his half-sister.
- Her birth name is Girl Horse but was changed to Hollyhock Manheim-Mannheim-Guerrero-Robinson-Zilberschlag-Hsung-Fonzerelli-McQuack when adopted.
- She has eight adoptive fathers.
- She likes apples but she doesn't like applesauce.
- Like BoJack, she hates honeydew, describing it as the Jared Leto of fruits.
- She graduated high school early and is taking a gap year.
- Despite her body type, she seems to be a bit athletic , as she has what appears to be a soccer trophy in her bedroom in "That Went Well", it is revealed she was the captain of her JV soccer team, and in "What Time Is It Right Now" she shows a photo of herself rollerblading.
- It is implied her birth mother Henrietta Platchkey actually did in fact want to raise her daughter but gave into pressure from the Horseman Family to give the infant up for adoption.
- Season 4 ends with her telling BoJack while she already has plenty of paternal figures in her life, she would be content to have a relationship with him as siblings.
- She enjoyed knocking people out with chloroform, mainly Todd Chavez.
- According to BoJack’s Instagram, after Season 4 she went with BoJack to Hawaii and to see the Broadway show, Hamilton, showing that the two have hun out together after the end of Season 4.